Day 36: Mary Makes Cookies!
Former Appel Farm Arts Camp Sculpture Instructor, Mary, runs a tasty company: Sun Baked Cookies out in San Diego, CA! Just for her friends at Appel Farm, Mary is decorating some special appel-shaped cookies! Want to make your own? Here’s her recipe!
Sun Baked Cookies Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° (375° if it’s a convection oven)
- Use electric mixer to cream butter and sugar 3+ minutes, until fluffy Beat in extracts and egg, scrape bowl
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in separate bowl
- Slowly add dry ingredients to your wet ingredients, mix slowly until dough forms
- Chill dough for 15-30 minutes, roll out onto floured surface and cut out cookies
- Bake 8-10 minutes until edges are golden brown
- 5 TBSP meringue powder
- 1 TBSP light corn syrup
- 2 TSP vanilla extract
- 1 Cup water
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- In stand mixer, combine meringue powder, corn syrup, vanilla, and water.
- Hand whisk together until foamy
- Add powdered sugar and hand whisk until incorporated (so it doesn’t fly everywhere when you start the mixer)
- Attach paddle attachment and beat on med-high for a full 5 minutes
- Icing can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days before use.